Thursday, January 10, 2013

Settling in?

So by now you've probably figured out how important to me my dog is, even if you only know me in the context of this blog.
She will be nine years old in February, and has always been an active dog.  Since living on the boat I've tried to do my best to find places I can take her on a daily basis to get her energy out and keep her healthy.
In Beaufort we would walk along a busy street for fifteen minutes to get to an abandoned piece of property that will be turned into a subdivision one of these days.  It looks like this:




And here's a panorama of the parking spot when the weather was too cold to walk the windy busy road from the marina:





Don't get me wrong, it was a spot that was one of the highlights of living in Beaufort.  It had a great view of downtown, the swing bridge, and the river/marsh.  But it was relatively small, and after walking it for ten or fifteen minutes both the dog and I were bored.

From Space- our walking paths in red:



Here in Savannah there is a conservation park a short drive from here that is much larger, much prettier for its woods and perhaps more important- lots of space to explore.  So far in visiting twice Morgan and I have explored this much of it:



Here is the comparison of the size of the old walk vs. the new walk- see the size difference which equals awesomeness difference, health factor, and nap-time length:



So what?  Now you have all this technical data on my dog's morning routine right?  Shuddup, this is my blog, and there's more...

More you say? Fascinating.

Well try this on for size.  Day two and I've already found a body...





I believe that's a hoof in the last coroner's shot there.

So take that, without my houndish dog sniffing out new foot trails I wouldn't get such wonderful surprises.  So while it's very important for both of us to get this every day:


It's just as important to simply get out into the world and see the crazy things going on, to ask answerless questions about what you find.  "what happened to that goat or whatever?"  or  "Am I breaking the law right now?"


I think I'll like it here.

1 comment:

  1. I was tempted to take a few bones with me as souveniers, like for a bone necklace or ear piercing down the road, but I abstained

    ReplyDelete